Elder True DeMille

Elder True DeMille

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Can You Tame Your Tongue?

What's up my friends?? 

I decided it's been a while since I wrote a rap about the times. So here you go! Here's how I spent my week! 

Monday, started out real sweet
We rolled out of bed, and started our week -
Got studies done quick, then walked out the door
checkin' our watch it was like 8:24!
We hopped over to the church, with permissions and such
To catch a ride with my grandpa, and boy, is he clutch!
His name's Lo won ha (노원하), sporting a Countryman Cooper,
Born in '47 - quite the fresh super trooper. 
He took Moon and I to the policer-man station
So there we could get our hands on a real investigation.
I filled out the papers, Elder Moon called Grandma Kim
for some extra information due to the pinch we were in.
she said she'd send it later, so we peaced out real quick,
and my Grandpa Mr. Lo fed us noodles quite thick!
Then I choked on a pepper, so hot I thought I'd die-
But thankfully instead of death only tears I did cry.
By then it was late, but I still hit the fam-
And they were doing great! Even my "Pops" from Siam.
After the words on the comp we headed out to meet bros,
And where could we meet but.. ..good ol' Yeongdeungpo!
We met up with Sean, Elder Ellsworth and Meeks,
And even Elder Pruner, whom I haven't seen in weeks!

It was a blast, we played ping-pong and such,
Then after the math Sean took us out for late lunch!
We ate my fav- Gamaro, and the man recognized me!
I was so surprised he was so surprised that.. well,
it surprised me!
We munched all our chicken, and sipped the free drank,
Then met a Finnish guy on the way home. ..Eurig. Not Frank.
When Tuesday rolled around I thought it preposterous
That our Anyang zone met in Sanbon for Zone Conference!
But we left real early, and on the bus my bag broke..
then later on so did my watch.. ..haha. ..That's all she wrote. 
We hiked all around, then challenged the Prez
to a "7-minute workout", and man, were we dead!
We took some silly photos, after we all heard him say,
"Thank you so much! You've made the President's day!"
That was that, we headed back home
to teach English class -- you know, "When in Rome"~
When Wednesday rolled around, there was much pleading
to not have an extra long Dist-er-ict Meeting. 
Things went real smooth, we all had a nice time
And on our way home we dropped by the fuzz one more time.
We filled out the paper, the "Missing Persons" forms,
Then did a few shakes at a cool new book store! 
That was pretty rad, and all we did that day,
Even got stood up by our investigators when it got to be late.
So then onto Thursday, which was "Dorseldermaphobia"
Says Elder Doyle.. ..Who probably came from Cambodia. 
At this time we spent a few hours in the sun,
Doing service and painting a WALL! ..Man, SO MUCH FUN!

That was the day, and the time came and went,
And our investigators stood us up again.. .. rough time spent!
Friday is often referred to as "burning" (in Korea)
If I had to guess why.. it's probably cause our minds hurt from learning..
We planned our next week for 3 hours or so,
Then did some flyering at a waterfall.. (In Korean, Pokpo!)
Nailed some shopping, with pizza for lunch,
And sipped on some soda instead of fruit punch. 
Saturday was normal, with English class and a dinner
At our dear member's house.. ..she's such a winner!
And then, here we are, it's Sunday for you. 
Though Monday for me, I had a great Sunday too!
I hope yours is the same, feeling the Spirit and such -
I mean, that's what counts, right? That "Family" touch? 
Here's the end of my extra long poem.
....
..Uh..
..Ta dahhh. Hahaha

So … I figured you may need the Gift of Tongues to figure out what in the world I'm saying here, but -- I believe in you. I know you can do it!

To be honest, this morning I was studying the gift of tongues, along with Chapter 7 in Preach My Gospel, which is all about language learning. ..And, I learned today that, well, the Gift of Tongues doesn't only apply to foreign languages, but normal everyday language as well! Chapter 7 says this:

"When you feel you are struggling to express yourself as clearly as you would like, remember that the Spirit is able to speak to the hearts of all of God's children." 
"There is one language.. that is common to each [of God's children]-- the language of the Spirit. It is not learned from textbooks written by men of letters; nor is it acquired through reading and memorization. The language of the Spirit comes to him who seeks with all his heart to know God and keep His divine commandments. Proficiency in this language permits one to break barriers, overcome obstacles, and touch the human heart."

..Cool, right?

Then I went on to read in James 3, which is all about taming our tongues. 

It's long, but worth it. It says, 

"My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
 Behold, we put bits in the horses’ mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents,and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
 10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
 11 Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
 12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.
 13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
 14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts,glory not, and lie not against the truth.
 15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly,sensual, devilish.
 16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."

Remember that we should use our Gift of Tongues to rightfully interpret that which we say to other people, as well as spread this kind of love that we can through the sweet words we know. Let us all be a well of sweet, fresh water, and try our hardest to forsake and forget the salty, bitter water we often keep inside the well within us. 

Love you all,
Have the greatest week! 

Elder DeMille!


No comments:

Post a Comment