Elder True DeMille

Elder True DeMille

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Questions of the Soul

This week, we had a sweet experience with one of our investigators. He totally spaced about our appointment on Tuesday, and we waited at the church for like 45 minutes for him to show up (because he always does), and called him at least 10 times.. hahah. *cough cough* desperate missionaries? *cough cough* ..No. We just want him to find happiness! Haha.

Anyway, he texted us later, apologizing, and as we forgave him (70 times 7, right?) he started to text us about how he isn't living life how he wants to, and wants to make some serious changes. ..So naturally, we were thinking, "(insert angelic chorus of angels)" And wanted to find out how we could help! He said he'd talk to us when we met on Thursday though. Too long over text.
So, we met on Thursday, and talked. ..For a while. It was really cool, and as he sincerely poured out his heart about things he wanted to change in his life, and how he just felt like he was slowly slipping out of reality and just simply "living", we were able to provide him with some comfort - but only after listening well for a long time. ..Listening is important, people.
We committed him to trying church out - at our Korean branch- to start to be around the right kind of people with the right kind of influences and he got really stoked about it. After that, Elder Ellsworth shared a phenomenal scripture in Helaman (5:12) about building on the right kind of foundation so that you can withstand anything. I shared a quote that always keeps me going, and it's like he was hit so hard with the Spirit he finally understood what he should be doing.

The quote I shared is from the movie Rocky, and goes something like this:
"It's not about how hard you can hit. ..It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take and keep moving forward! That's how winning is done!!”
He understood that he's been taking so much.. but moving nowhere. So hopefully, with a little spiritual direction, we can help this guy get back on track in the game of life. 

This week though, with that experience, I thought a lot about how the Book of Mormon answers the questions of our soul (and sometimes Rocky Balboa), and decided to study those questions in depth. I'll leave the studying to you, but I wanted to share the questions that come up most often in people's lives, souls, and situations. If you ever need an answer. Turn to the Book of Mormon. I know you will find an answer if you search with the real intent to change your life. I love you all!!
Why does God allow evil and suffering? - 2 Nephj 2:11,13 // Alma 14: 9-11

What does the Lord expect of me? - 2 Nephi 9: 21-23

Does God answer prayers? (YES) - Enos 1:1-8

How can our family be happier and more united? Mosiah 2:17,22,23-24, 41

How can I find peace and joy? Mosiah 2:41 (38 as well?) // Mosiah 4:9, 10,12,13

Does God know me? Alma 5:37-38

Is there a God? Alma 22:1-24

What is the purpose of Life? Alma 34:32, 41

How can a belief in the Lord help me? Alma 36:3 // Alma 36: 3-23 (story), 24-27, 30

How can I avoid the evils that threaten my family? Alma 39:8-14

Is there life after death? Alma 40:4-10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 21, 23

How can I avoid sin? Helaman 5:12

How can I balance my family and career? 3 Nephi 13:19-21, 24, 26-28, 33-34

How can I strengthen my marriage? 3 Nephi 14: 1-5, 7-8, 9-11, 12, 24-27

Does my infant require baptism? Moroni 8:8-11, 12-19, 22-23 

Search the word, and you'll find it! Ask and ye shall receive, knock, and it shall be opened unto you. ...If you don't ask, you'll never know. 

Love you all!!

All the love,

Elder DeMille!


No comments:

Post a Comment