Elder True DeMille

Elder True DeMille

Sunday, February 22, 2015

A Simple Scripture

So, this past week was amazing. Haha, I got a taste of what it was like to be a normal human bean (pinto, naturally) again as we celebrated 설날 here in Korea! It was awesome, with back to back hikes, some sweet trainings, plenty of time playing frisbee, badminton, rugby, watching the Best Two Years, and other activity, we were basically in paradise!
But.. haha at the same time we all just wanted to get back to work. We can do all these things when we get home, am I right?
Things right now are great with my new companion, Elder Moon! He's Korean, and my same age. Plus, we're both tall, dark, and handsome. What more could anyone want in a companionship?? ....On second thought I guess humility is pretty important.. ..and the spirit.. haha. Oh well.
So! I don't have tons to say today - I know, I know, I'm the worst -- but, I do have a scripture to share with you today. I've been thinking a lot about the prophets of old, and how they always somehow had this awesome power to move mountains, part seas, turn stones into lights, and slay giants, and how -- in our day, we just can't seem to do anything near as incredible as that!
So, I wanted to know what set these fellas part from everyone else. How it was that they were able to do so many things that we couldn't. ..And that's when I found the answer.  ..Though it may not in all actuality help us move mountains or slay giants, we can be free of mountainous burdens and overcome giant trials in our lives if we take more time to fast. ..Yes. Fasting.
Fasting helps us gain strength of character. When we fast, we can learn to control our appetites, as well as passions and desires. We are a little stronger by having proved to ourselves that we do indeed have self-control. When we fast wisely and prayerfully, we develop our faith, are promised peace, improved health, and even spiritual guidance.
Isaiah tells us of the blessings that come when we fast:
"Then shall thy light break forth as morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily; and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rereward. Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am." (Isaiah 58:8-9)
So, as hard as it may be at times, take some time to fast! Pray, and improve! You are all amazing, and I hope you can feel the love of the Lord, as well as those around you in your every day lives. Have the best week, and never forget who you are! You are who you choose to be!

All the love,

Elder DeMille

No comments:

Post a Comment