Elder True DeMille

Elder True DeMille

Sunday, September 14, 2014

So.. Good Thing I'm Certified, Right?‏

This week was pretty intense! ..And by intense I mean.. haha.. possibly the most exhilarating week by far. We've progressed a lot with our two investigators, and are hoping and praying to give Daniel a baptismal date this next meeting. He came to church this week at 10am, after working a 10-night shift mind you.. , and is loving it. He's used to waving his bible around and clapping and yelling and stuff but, haha. I think he really respects the different feel.

However, the craziest parts of this week were as follows, haha. (I've gotta keep this relatively short, I have a girlfriend to congratulate..) 

We started off with our "Korean Thanksgiving" celebration, called 좔석 (Chuseok) and went crazy with a 9 hour meeting. We had super fun activities all day long, had a crazy talent show, did skits and proselyted a ton, and well.. long story short, we ate tons of food, and it was seriously such a blast.
Next, the couple following days were pretty simple, but then, well.. two days ago the universe pretty much decided to explode. We got a referral from Songpa (our AP's), and called the number, only to find out it wasn't the guy who was interested in the gospel but Dr. Yang Huo from Utah Valley University. We got talking and I told him I was interested in business and .. ha, go figure he's the professor of their Business Management program. Cool huh? And SO random. What are the odds we call this professor, (A Korean member), who is in Utah, borrowing his mother in law's Korean cellphone...?? So anyway, he'd like to take me to get some Kimchi when I get home, haha but that's another story.
Right after that, we were waiting for Daniel to meet us at the church so we could treat him to some dinner (because he's just that cool) and he called us to tell us he was on his way. ..So, we asked him where he was, and figured we'd just meet him next to the closest subway station so we could just walk to the church together rather than having to backtrack a little ways once he made his way to our church. Elder Ellsworth and I embarked (fun side note, we have been fasting all morning at this point, searching for an answer to our prayers.. ..and, well, Elder Ellsworth doesn't do so well without food for long periods of time) , and once we got to the station we saw Daniel waving to us cleeear down the street. Haha, do we really stick out that bad? Anyway, we waved back, and then.. 

..Everything went crazy.
A huge truck to our right decided to take a spontaneous U-Turn, and completely T-boned a young man on a delivery motorcycle. His bike was smashed, everyone on the street stopped, and you could feel this incredibly ominous presence in the air. We looked at Daniel, I pointed to him, and then pointed to the accident in the middle of the street. Before I knew it, we were all running to help this young guy. ..When we got there, he didn't look so young, maybe mid-late 20's, tattoo sleeve on his left arm, strong, capable looking guy. He was laying about a lane and a half away from his smashed bike, just coming back from a small lapse of unconsciousness. ..I entered EMT mode.
..but man, I was resourceless!
I started asking questions, trying to see if he could respond, asking if he knew where he was, and what he was doing, but my Korean was just too slow for the circumstances. He started to stand up, and supporting him, we tried to help him get his bearings - but he was way too hurt. His whole right side of his right leg was road-rashed, and he had a large laceration on his shin that was soaking his sock and led me to find his bones slightly out of place with his ankle in the complete wrong orientation. I turned to Elder Ellsworth and Daniel and asked if they had a shirt, or cloth or something I could use to stop the bleeding (about ready to take of my shirt or tie) when Daniel just whipped off his shirt the second I finished my question. Haha. Too cool. I double checked with him to make sure it was okay, and he said, "Just do it." --Kinda like a movie, pretty cool-- anyway.. I took his shirt, used it to cover and provide pressure for a big laceration above his right eye which was pouring blood all over his face and in his eyes, and used Daniel as a translator for the other questions I needed to ask him. We got the bleeding under control, but he was still in a ton of pain. I sent Elder Ellsworth for water - still in sight and sound, haha don't worry - and used it to keep him hydrated (he was losing tons of blood) and wash the blood off his face and out of his eyes. This entire time, everyone was super helpful. People on the street were calling the EMTs, and this sweet old lady was by us the whole time, asking over and over again "Aren't you busy? Aren't you too busy?" .. When the actual EMT's got there, a few of this delivery guy's friends had come (also on bikes) and were giving the EMT's other personal information. We found out this guy was only 16 years old. ..A sophomore in High School.
Then, the EMT's came to us, asked us about how we found him, and as I was using Daniel to translate exactly what I wanted to say, Elder Ellsworth (fasting, remember?) just decided to make things a little bit more interesting and pass out. ..Haha. Seriously?! He started moving kind of weird right behind me, passed out, his his chin on a ledge, and luckily fell straight toward me so I could catch him before he hit the ground. Haha. He's heavier than you'd think! And don't worry, his chin is fine, just a small cut :) Everyone looked at us like we were crazy, haha. 

And after that crazy event, we decided it was time for some dinner. We washed blood off with the extra water, and enjoyed some sweet shrimp stir-fry. 

Haha in a nutshell - that was my week. A few more crazy things here and there, but one of our members actually saw us while we were helping that guy - so there should be a picture or two! 

I love you all tons! Make sure you drive safe - look both ways - listen to the spirit, and are prepared to use your skills in whichever way the Lord might need you to! 
All the love in the world! 

Elder DeMille!

Woohoo! I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!
Back home ... my sweet girlfriend was baptized this weekend. My siblings were all there to support her for me. I love that they brought me along too. 
And our very own Sister Bagley was able to special deliver a hug from me all the way from Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment