Elder True DeMille

Elder True DeMille

Sunday, November 15, 2015

I Fig'd It Out.

So, we went to the zoo this week. And it was SO fun.
Plus, we made homemade Pepero! 
AND I saw my aunt on the street, AGAIN!! Outside of her Kindergarten this time. My cousin was there, and her 6 year old friend asked me for my autograph. 
Score.
Hahahaha anyway… I don't have tons of time to write today, but I wanted to share something really rad I learned in personal study this week.
In Mark, Chapter 11 Jesus is riding back into Jerusalem after a long day of proselyting with his twelve apostles. They were probably healing tons of people, handing out Book of Mormons (Or is it Books of Mormon?), and innumerable pass-along cards to everyone they passed. Needless to say they were starving. And lo and behold, in front of them stood a fig tree.

 11 And Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple: and when he had looked round about upon all things, and now the eventide was come, he went out unto Bethany with the twelve.

 12 ¶And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:

 13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.

So here's Jesus, the creator of Earth, hungry for some fruit, and him --not seeing any-- does something much of us deem drastic. 

14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

Matthew, in his account, tells how the tree "presently withered away" -- but Mark tells how they come upon it the next day, seeing it in an incredibly surprising condition. Withered, dead, and definitely not bearing any fruit nor leaves.
..But, I always thought to myself, and this week Sister Lee asked me, "Why did Jesus curse the tree for not having any fruit? ..Like.. come on?? It's just a tree. And it wasn't the season to bear fruit!" 

So, I decided I'd research it. 

I found the majority of the answer in Jesus the Christ, written by James E. Talmage. Apparently, I was lacking a huge knowledge of fig trees. Did you know that fig trees bear fruit buds, BEFORE budding leaves? So, here was this tree, not in the fruit season yet -- but flaunting it's leaves all around like, "Heyy~ What's up guys! Yo, I got some TASTY fruit over here. See all my leaves? You've just gotta come see what I've got for you. I know it's not time yet, but I budded early. BOY do I have some sweet fruit." So naturally, Jesus goes with his apostles to check it out. If there are leaves, there should be fruit, right?

Wrong.

This tree was 1. a symbol of faith, as Jesus showed his disciples the power to control nature/elements with only words and faith, and 2. a more abstract symbol of the current religion, Judaism at it's finest. Judaism was spreading rapidly, but was just what the fig tree was. A tree, with leaves, and no fruit. Our church is the only one with fruit of it's kind -- Judaism was simply a trick -- a trap. To get people to come and see, and believe, when there was nothing there for them to begin with. So Jesus put a stop to it.
Cool, right? 

Anyway, with that in mind my mom sent me a cool quote that falls right into place.

God has a plan for your life.
The enemy has a plan for your life.
Be ready for both.
Just be wise enough to know
which one to battle and
which one to embrace.
-author unknown-
Walk towards the right trees, embrace the right fruit. Indulge in it and share it with others so they can enjoy it too!!

Have a wonderful week!

All the love,
Elder DeMille

No comments:

Post a Comment