Elder True DeMille

Elder True DeMille

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Invictus.

This week, I had the opportunity of teaching our Gospel Doctrine class the "Law of Chastity". ..As we all know, it's by far the funnest, easiest, and least awkward lesson to teach. 

..Haha.. Okay. I lied, I'm sorry.
But! This week, as I stressed over how I could teach it comfortably, entertainingly, and well, well- I reflected on a lesson I taught about the "Armor of God" back when I was a Deacon. My mom helped me prepare the lesson, and I used the same object lesson that I used back then, in class this week. It was super effective. I wish I had more time to explain it to you -- but time is pressing, and I want to share with you the more important part of the lesson. I decided to --rather than talking about the Law of Chastity itself-- talk about how we can overcome it, avoid breaking it, and keep it more effectively.  

When I was 14 or so years old, my Young Men's Counselor, Jared Hackett, invited all of the young men to memorize a poem. In doing so, we'd get 5 bucks! ..To be honest, I don't really remember what other reasons or benefits there were to memorizing the poem at the time, but I liked poems and figured I'd give it a try. One week later, I had 5 dollars in my hand, and a tool that I would use for the rest of my life.
To this day, every time a bad thought enters my head, I recite this poem to help me be more focused, to help me stay strong, and to give me encouragement to press forward. There were times in my mission where I would even count the times I had to recite the poem each day -- some a little depressing, and others encouraging-- but regardless, I'm so thankful that the challenge was issued. I guess, in saying that, I'm issuing a challenge to you. 

Memorize this poem, or another one that you hold dear and that gives you strength, to use as a tool against the adversary in times of need. I promise it will always help you!
Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever Gods may be,
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced, not cried aloud
Under the bludgeonings of chance,
My head is bloody- but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears,
Looms but the horror of the shade;
And yet the menace of the years
Finds - and shall find- me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll-
I am the master of my fate.
I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley.


And that's a wrap, folks!
I'll see you next week, for the grand finale!

Special shoutout to my baby brother, who's officially a teenager today!! Haha rock on Landon!

All the love,

Elder DeMille

No comments:

Post a Comment